[Please note that this article refers to an older version of the product and may be outdated. You can find the most recent guide here]
Advertising is an application that allows the set up and management of advertising campaigns, by inserting advertising banners in some sections of the Splash Portal, for a certain interval of time. Once this application has been activated, the Tenant is able to monitor all data of interest, such as impressions and click analysis for each image inserted.
Compared to Advertising Lite application, we can find the following improvements:
- A "sponsor dashboard" is available. This can be used by the sponsor in order to monitor the performance of an advertising campaign.
- It is possible to add a HTML file that will be shown when an unauthenticated end-user clicks the banner.
- It is possible to search advertising campaigns that are enabled on a Venue.
- It is possible to associate each advertising campaign to more than one Venue.
- It is possible to mark a Splash Portal zone as "exclusive", in order to reduce the probability that a zone is not covered by an advertising banner.
Control Panel management
By clicking the Manage button it is possible to manage the advertisements that will be displayed to the end-users, for some particular pages of the Splash Portal or as the consequence of particular actions performed.
The first screen contains the details for advertisements that are currently present in the system and are visible to the system user.
The listed fields for every campaign are:
- Banner in this campaign: this is the name of the advertising campaign.
- Type: this value depends to the type set for the advertising campaign. There are three types, according to the chosen position:
- Standard: this is the "classic" advertising where clickable images are displayed. This type can be selected for all available positions: Top, Bottom and Splash positions (read more below)
- Custom: this advertising consists of an HTML page to submit to the system. It works even in pre-authentication mode, since all external images contained in <img /> tags are processed and downloaded to an external server. The only requirement is that any URL contained in CSS blocks must be absolute and pointing to external resources, since CSS URLs will not be downloaded outside the solution. This type can be selected only for advertising in Splash position.
- AdSense: this advertising allows integration of Google AdSense in the Solution, and works only for advertising in Splash position. Please read How to get an AdSense code in order to create a new AdSense code.
- Trigger: this value refers to any event on which the display of advertising can be bounded. It is not mandatory to set a trigger and there are some limitations described in the following paragraph More information about triggers. Available events are:
- Opening page
- Method: this value is based on the display rules to be set. Please note that this value cannot be modified a second time. It is possible to choose between the following values:
- Clicks: the advertising campaign will expire after a certain number of clicks that can be set.
- Impressions: the advertising campaign will expire after you set the number of views by end-users.
- Times: the advertising campaign will start and stop in a time interval that can be set.
- Area: this value indicates the area on the page where the banner will be displayed. It is possible to choose between the following values:
- Top: that is the insertion of advertising in the upper part of the page of the Splash Portal, above the other blocks. Please note that this advertising is not supported for Splash Metro models.
- Bottom: that is the insertion of advertising in the bottom of the page of the Splash Portal, below the other blocks. Please note that this advertising is not supported for Splash Metro models.
- Splash: that is the insertion of advertising as a result of an action performed on to the Splash Portal
- Condition: this is the numeric threshold after which the advertising campaign will expire. This value is logically associated with the Method.
- Sponsor Dashboard: this is a URL displaying a dashboard that can be used by the sponsor in order to monitor the performance of the advertising campaign.
Furthermore, for each advertising campaign, it is possible to perform the following actions:
- Active / Finish: this activates or suspends an inactive or active advertising campaign.
- Edit: this action allows to edit an advertising campaign which has been previously created.
- Statistics: this shows statistics for an advertising campaign based on clicks or impressions performed by end-users.
- Delete: this action allows you to delete an advertising campaign.
The Tenant is able to search the advertising available for a Venue by clicking the Search button.
The following types of banners do not support triggers at all:
- Banners defined with Type = Standard and Area = Top
- Banners defined with Type = Standard and Area = Bottom
When a banner defined with Type = Standard and Area = Splash has no association with any trigger, it will be shown to the end-user only after the login to the Splash Portal.
AdSense-based banners are automatically triggered after the authentication of the end-user. No choice is allowed in the Control Panel.
Creating a new banner
Clicking the Add new banner button adds a new banner. Follow a step-by-step procedure:
1. The first step is to select the area on the page where the banner will be displayed.
The possible values are:
- Top: the insertion of advertising in the upper part of the page of the Splash Portal, above the other blocks. Please note that this advertising is not supported for Splash Metro models.
- Bottom: the insertion of advertising in the bottom of the page of the Splash Portal, below the other blocks. Please note that this advertising is not supported for Splash Metro models.
- Splash: the insertion of advertising as a result of an action performed on the Splash Portal. As mentioned before, this is the only position supporting Custom and AdSense banners.
A Tenant is able to set this if the selected zone is "exclusive" for the current advertising campaign: in this way the Venue Manager will not be able to override the zone with other advertising campaigns. Otherwise, any advertising campaign created by the Venue Manager will replace the one created by the Tenant.
2. In the second step it is required to provide the following data:
- Name of the banner: the name associated to the banner.
- URL: the URL where an authenticated end-user is redirected after clicking the banner.
- Banner: the image uploaded through the Control Panel.
- HTML file: the HTML file that is shown to unauthenticated end-users who clicked a banner. In order to correctly do this operation it is necessary to follow some guidelines that are explained in the article Creating your custom advertising with Advertising, by using "Custom HTML".
3. The third step is shown only to the Tenant who selects the Venues where this advertising campaign will be applied.
4. In the fourth step you must choose the type of advertising campaign, choosing from the following types (described above):
Furthermore, it is required to set the numeric threshold for any chosen type (the number of clicks or impressions after which the advertising campaign will expire, or the interval dates out of which the advertising campaign is not valid).
5. In the fifth step you must confirm all the data set during the previous steps.
Please note that, as a result of inserting more than one image per section, only one of them will be displayed. Each image has 100 /(number of banners defined for the zone)% chance of being displayed for each time the page is loaded.
This application does not require a particular configuration to run.
The manager of the application is the Tenant, who is able to set advertising campaigns for each Venue managed and set a zone of the Splash Portal as "exclusive" (this means that it cannot be overridden by the Venue Manager).
Venue Managers are also able to set their campaigns if the zone has not been marked as "exclusive" by the Tenant.
This is an example of Top box banner:
This is an example of Splash ADV banner:
This is an example of Bottom box banner: