Segments are groups of contacts that match certain rules, built by combining filters on profiling attributes and conditions on their past events (cohorts).
Compass Segments are dynamic, new Contacts can enter the Segment when they match the rules or they can leave it when they don't match anymore. Segments are refreshed once a day.
Segments can be used to filter certain analytics and report dashboards, for selecting a target audience in Campaigns, or to refine the scope of data integrations (either via Connectors, custom integrations or APIs).
You can build up segments based on some conditions, determine who belongs to them (in the People section), and view the related statistics (in the Dashboard section).
This version of the application is available depending on the product subscription, and you can access it by clicking on the quick access toolbar on the left People → Segments.
Segments in the People section
You can create a new Segment by clicking on the Add Segment button. To edit an existing Segment, click on the Segment name.
When creating a new Segment, you can choose to create rules based on Properties or Events and combine them with AND or OR operators.
Properties are the Contact attributes. You can set the conditions for your segment based on the following data:
- Created – define a time interval
- Gender – specify the gender(s) to match
- Age – set an age range
- Country – specify the filtering to match
- Marketing Opt-in – check if the user has given his consent to receive marketing emails or not
- Age Verified – check if the user has completed the age verification process or not
- Has Phone – check if the user has provided a phone number or not
- Phone Verified – check if the user completed the phone verification process or not
- Phone Prefix – define the phone prefix(es) to match
- Has Email – check if the user has provided an email address or not
- Email Verified – check if the user completed the phone verification process or not
- Email Domain – define the email domain(s) to match
- Provider – check for the login option chosen by end-users
- Source Location – specify the location(s) to match
- any custom opt-in clause defined
- Total Visits
- Last Visit Date
- Visited Locations
- Last Visit Location
- Most Visited Location
- Avg. Visit Duration
- Attraction Rate:
- Avg. Monthly Visits:
- Avg. Days Between Visits
- Time of day preference
- Day of week preference
When you create a Segment only using rules based on proprieties, you can see in real-time the number of Contacts that match those rules.
This set of conditions deals with Contact's past events, so you can create cohorts.
At this time, the Segment builder only supports WiFi authentication events, so you can define rules to include in your segment Contacts who have or have not signed in to a set of locations, a given number of times, or more, or less, and in some particular time intervals.
Save the segment
Once you have defined all the conditions, set a name, and optionally a description, and then click Save.
The People section allows filtering users by segment. The resulting contacts can be viewed in the page or exported to the CSV format.
By clicking on a single name, it is possible to see all the segments containing the end-user.
The Dashboard section for Compass shows the list of the most significant segments and indicates how many end-users they contain in percentage, compared to the total number of users.
In the Campaign tool, in the second step of the campaign setup, you can select a target segment for your messaging campaigns.
When a campaign is triggered for a specific Contact, the tool automatically refreshes the computation of the Segments the contact belongs to at the time the campaign is triggered, so it uses the most updated data (instead of the latest batch segment refresh).
If the Segment rules include a condition on Events, the event triggering the campaign itself is not considered. For example, if your segment has a rule that includes only the Contacts who have done at least 2 WiFi connections, and the campaign is triggered at the second connection, the Contact won't match the condition of the segment when the campaign is tirggered.